Mission Idea I'm working on - Suggestions/Feedback

Kill your comrades. Wholesale
wolfenswan

Re: Mission Idea I'm working on - Suggestions/Feedback

Post by wolfenswan »

harakka wrote:I have a faint recollection of there already being a fairly well fleshed out ARPS Dark Business clone out there, maybe by Ivan Sidorenko? I never played it but I remember people talking about it. Anyone know more?
afaik it never was finished properly or didn't really work. not sure though.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

A way of perhaps simplifying it would be to have a set exchange point already defined by the mission. This way comms between IND and OPFOR would be slightly easier and at least BLUFOR wouldn't have to fly around to a number of positions hoping to find the spot. Then have a number of safe zones each team takes their hostages/ammo truck. I guess that way though it sounds like Goose Chase but a 3 way ADV rather than just TvT.

Cam

Post by Cam »

We've run a remake of DB with ACE/ACRE a few times now, and it's generally pretty amazing fun. On the note of comms between INDFOR and OPFOR, a whisper list is probably gonna be the best option, when you don't have ACRE. It's what we used for the first few runs, and I don't remember any glaring issues.

Feel free to take a look at the pbo (apparently it's fairly accurate, but I've never played the original myself, so I can't be sure). If there's any interest, I'd love to port it over/have someone else port it over to default Arma with some help working out the changes that would be needed.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

fer wrote: The marker system shouldn't be too hard to make, actually. In F2, you could copy and modify the ShackTactical Fireteam Member Markers component, and only run it locally on BLUFOR players' machines.
How exactly would I do that?

Actually have most things laid out. Commanders of the INDFOR and OPFOR can just set up a whisper in TS once they have been chosen so they can communicate. If the markers isn't possible, I could have say 3 set towns on the map that the commanders must decide where it takes place, meaning BLUFOR still have to figure out the place of exchange but by not making it impossible for them.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

I'll work on that if you want. Shouldn't be too hard.

Edit : There it goes

Code: Select all

// FOLK ARPS - ENEMY MARKERS
// ====================================================================================

// JIP CHECK
// Prevents the script executing until the player has synchronised correctly:

#include "f_waitForJIP.sqf"

// ====================================================================================

// DECLARE PRIVATE VARIABLES

private ["_refreshTime"];

// EXECUTE ONLY FOR BLUFOR

if (side player != west) exitWith {};

// SET KEY VARIABLES
// Using variables passed to the script instance, we will create some local variables:

_refreshTime = _this select 0;

// INITIALIZATION - CREATE MARKERS
_mkr_array = [];
{
	if (alive _x && side _x != west) then {
		_mkrName = Format ["mkr_%1",_x];
		_mkr = createMarkerLocal [_mkrName,[(getPos _x select 0),(getPos _x select 1)]];
		_mkr setMarkerShapeLocal "ICON";
		_mkrName setMarkerTypeLocal "MIL_DOT";
		_mkrName setMarkerColorLocal "ColorRed";
		_mkrName setMarkerSizeLocal [0.4, 0.4];
		_x setVariable ["MarkerDot", _mkr];
	};
} forEach allUnits;

while {alive player} do {
	{
		_mkr = _x getVariable "MarkerDot";
		_mkr setMarkerPos (getPosATL _x);
	} forEach allUnits;
	sleep _refreshTime;
};
Note that in the current state, it won't differenciate dead and alive units. That could be changed though.
And it would be called with:

Code: Select all

[120] execVM "pathandname.sqf";
in the init.sqf, where the number represents the time in seconds between two refreshs.

Edit again: by the way, this is exactly the kind of mission that could benefit from a score/multiple ending system.

Edit once again : fixed code.
Last edited by Black Mamba on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Cheers mate. Having it show dead and alive would be fine I think mate. Ill add the odd ai too driving and walking around.

What do you think the multiple exchange spots or allow commanders to decide in game?

Going to reduce the amount of possible players too, to accommodate the ai

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

D'you want to remove the markers for dead people, or just change their colors? Also, this makes markers for civies. Maybe I should remove them.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

No mate leave them all on and the same colour. Will make it so blufor don't know how many are dead and who is who!

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Didn't seem to work for me tonight mate, but it is midnight and I've just got home from work so I haven't had a proper look into it.

Had one small red dot for one of the units that gets deleted at the start of a mission with F2 but thats about it.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Yeah, I spotted it. Stupidness on my part while trying to do it fast. I'll fix it tomorrow.

Edit: fixed it. Also be sure to place that file in the f\common folder, or the JIP check might go all CTD on you.