Wargame: Red Dragon

Games that are not ArmA2 or Flight Sims

Moderator: oldhosts

pvtbones

Re: Wargame: Red Dragon

Post by pvtbones »

I think sometime in the near future there needs to be organized a 1980 era only low income game, see who can really slug it out without the fancy toys

head

Post by head »

I'l be there with my swedish deck.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

We already did that a while ago. It was good although quite the meatgrinder. USSR and US can field some really powerful toys in Cat C.

Btw: RD Cat C is ALB's Cat B, so I think only pre 1985.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

People up for a Cat C game later today? No coalitions, only nations, maybe no USSR/US either. Let's say 7 GMT?

pvtbones

Post by pvtbones »

I'd be up for that, don't know if I'll be able to make 7 gmt but I'll try

Medic Eugene Roe

Post by Medic Eugene Roe »

How does WG:RD compare to WALB? Gameplay wise, that is. Also decks. Are there more points, to accomodate naval units? And is infantry combat and the use of artillery any nicer? Do you still have to tell your trucks to unload only once they've reached their destination, instead of telling them to unload at another location, like with Arma waypoints? I'm looking at getting it, but I wanna know what I'm in for besides new factions and pretty boats.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

Gameplay wise: IT's a more refined ALB. The decks have changed a bit, now being a mixture of EE and ALB (hard caps on unit types along with the point-buy system, but the hard caps can be relaxed by specializing). The amount of national decks has greatly increased, with the inclusion of "coalition decks" which piles several countries into one deck (Scandinavion deck, Merkozy deck, Imperial deck, that sorta thing)

Naval units do not have a point cost, because some maps have navies and others do not. Allotment is only influenced by the hard cap.

As for the actual controlling of units - nothing has changed. Which is weird, since the biggest area of improvements is there.

Medic Eugene Roe

Post by Medic Eugene Roe »

Are you fine gentlemen ever going to hold a game together again? I have the game and have been screwing around in skirmish mode, but I think I may be ready to make a vaguely competent commander of my troops now.

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Sure, ping over skype if you're on. Or post here.
[/allegedly]

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Dear victims comrades!

Eugene in their wisdom have released a free DLC which adds a whole bunch of units to GDR, Czechs and Poles which in military terms can be summed up as teh sex. Furthermore they did a lot of balancing to the game, with medium tanks finally being viable, i.e. ALL GLORY THE T72. As a result I'm enjoying it much more than I did before and it seems to be far less of a spamfest than it used to be (sorry moon moon).

Shall we play a game?

I'm also open for some themed matches, such as Cat-C korea only.