fa3_a56_beachfront_property

Help make Party-approved missions harder
audiox
Host

fa3_a56_beachfront_property

Post by audiox »

Comments on this? It seemed to work out all right.

Ferrard Carson

Re: fa3_a56_beachfront_property

Post by Ferrard Carson »

The thing that stood out most to me in this mission is that the terrain and setup is very unfavorable to the attackers for a variety of reasons:
  • The terrain is very flat and open - there are dips and molehills here and there, but for the most part, there's little way to traverse the land without being in plain sight for at least 30 seconds, and very few options for a BOF except that one hill in the back.
  • That sort of terrain is supposed to be attacked with numerical superiority, but attackers are at a disadvantage on land because their force is split between land and sea.
Something I hope you can do in v2 is to indicate in the slotting screen where people start (Alpha on land, Bravo by boat).

I'd also advise against using quadbikes, esp. if you use a minefield to deter charging with vehicles. They're silly vehicles anyways, and certain people suggested gaming the mission by dint of quadbikes apparently not setting off anti-vehicle mines.

All in all, though, a good adversarial. I still feel it's a little tougher than it should be for the attackers, but we did win in the end, so I may be off-target.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

The open aspect is supposed to be mitigated by a technical or an assault boat. As it was for our first run-through our advance wasn't really covered by the speedboat because it seemed a bit far out to sea.

An approach from the south can also be supported by the assault boat, so attackfor can maintain good control over the area they advance through.

The slotting screen already indicates that bravo is boat team. It says so next to SL and FTL's. I could add it to the others as well, i guess.

I like giving MMG some independent maneuverability, it makes it much more fluid if used intelligently by CO. (They could be slotted in, and potentially nick one of the technicals after the initial setup, but i'm not certain about which way to go here.)

I'm contemplating removing the minefield altogether. It limits defendfors ability to strike out to the east and do a rear attack, and makes it difficult to use the technical to support a southern approach for attackfor.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

I don't think a 1:1 ratio is still doable for this one.
With resting/bipods and their better armor (or rather, armor at all) AAF has a major advantage in this one and the technical or boat don't make much of a difference.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

It might still be doable if the terrain wasn't so flat and devoid of cover on the approach though. But as it stands, AAF can see FIA coming a ways off and then hose them down at range by resting their ARs inside the bunker, while FIA gets to sit there and take it. Or rather, lie there leaking after taking it. :owned:

Bumping the ratio probably wouldn't help - you'd realistically need something like 3:1 or higher and by that stage you need too many players to be able to use this that often. And giving FIA more toys to make a faster approach might work, but it'd spoil the nature of the thing if FIA rolls up in a T-100...

A FIA mortar with smoke rounds only *might* work. Or bumping the fog level to Victorian London Pea Soup levels, but then you'd just have an adversarial version of the desperate mountain assault mission I guess. But basically, you need to find a way to limit the visual range of the defenders.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Place a bunch of objects like wrecks, sandbags, containers, stuff like that. It will limit the view distance and provide cover for the attackers.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

And maybe add some more smoke grenades to the loadouts?
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse