fa3_a76_EolaKastro

Help make Party-approved missions harder
wolfenswan

fa3_a76_EolaKastro

Post by wolfenswan »

Good first run. Things to consider:
  • The AO slopes a lot, which affects stamina severely. Cut off the western part/move possible cache locations closer together?
  • Mortar is powerful but more playtests are required to tell whether it needs some adjustments.

lietuvis10

Re: fa3_a76_EolaKastro

Post by lietuvis10 »

The mortair is extremely potent on this map. It is able to accuratly destroy fireteams,as there isn't much in the area in terms of stopping their shells(AKA biuldings).
While on the flipside,the NATO huron is made useless the moment it drops off the last troops,as the fog blocks any ability to provite fire support with the gartling guns.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

The minigun can suppress well enough. As AAF doesn't have anything to effectively engage the huron, it could even hover instead of circling and wouldn't need to worry about much. I didn't mean to implement the Huron as a tool to kill AAF but rather as a nuisance and tool for area denial (if you move on the hills you're very visible to the huron). It also has limited thermals which can be used by the pilot to scout the ground directly below him.

lietuvis10

Post by lietuvis10 »

wolfenswan wrote:The minigun can suppress well enough. As AAF doesn't have anything to effectively engage the huron, it could even hover instead of circling and wouldn't need to worry about much. I didn't mean to implement the Huron as a tool to kill AAF but rather as a nuisance and tool for area denial (if you move on the hills you're very visible to the huron). It also has limited thermals which can be used by the pilot to scout the ground directly below him.
The problem is that the Huron isn't even able to see the clear hills well enough to begin with to suppress.And to add,2000 rounds isn't all that much when your target is the entire forest down below you,without even a slightest idea of the general direction of enemy.He could be in that valley,or that,or that,or that or that.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

As for the Huron, I think it did it's job, as the mission maker meant to use it as a suppressing tool.

The mortar can be tweaked, either by playing around with the ammo it shoots or how much ammo it has.
Or the mortar can be replaced with an UGV (haven't seen those in action :D ) or some boring old UAV.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

on_certainty

Post by on_certainty »

I wouldn't change the Huron at this point. I think it could be very effective. We had a novice pilot on Sunday, and I think it could be very dangerous in the right hands.

I think the mortar needs a little tweaking. I have only played this mission on the NATO side, so I don't know where the mortar is positioned, but I think you could consider reducing its accuracy by moving it farther away from the AO. Also don't know what the ammo count was, but I would imagine that about 30 rounds is plenty.

fer

Post by fer »

I don't think this needs much tweaking right now (not until we have done 1-2 more play-throughs).

AO: The AO is essentially a giant slope, with most of the cache sites in the N-S gullies and valley floor that runs E-W along the bottom. In theory, INDFOR would want to fall upon NATO as it patrols the E-W valley floor, using height and concealment to great effect. In practice, INDFOR has to contend with the fact that NATO may well land on the northern side of the AO (on the road running along the ridge) - meaning it may well be NATO that has height advantage. The INDFOR CO has to decide when to send his troops downslope, knowing that if he does this too early, it will be painfully slow to re-ascend.

Mortar: Mortars are only as good as the spotters, and we're not great at that yet. I wouldn't give it any more ammo than it has now. Additionally, if a FT is bunched close enough to be wiped out by a single mortar round, we're not keeping our spacing!

Huron: INDFOR is very exposed on the hillsides, and last night (16 Nov) the Huron's presence was enough to stop us moving across open terrain. I'd view the Huron as an area denial weapon, not necessarily a killing platform.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

I think the mortar needs a little tweaking. I have only played this mission on the NATO side, so I don't know where the mortar is positioned, but I think you could consider reducing its accuracy by moving it farther away from the AO. Also don't know what the ammo count was, but I would imagine that about 30 rounds is plenty.
The mortar has 32 shots which can be fired in bursts of 8. It's mobile and player-controlled, so placement accuracy is essentially down to the player. I didn't want to use the mortar support-module or AI mortars but those would be the best nerf to accuracy.
Additionally, if a FT is bunched close enough to be wiped out by a single mortar round, we're not keeping our spacing!
The explosion radius of a A3 mortar is much wider than in A2 though I haven't done extensive tests on the exact killzone.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

v5 wrote: * Update to F3 3-2-2
* misc. tweaks
* Grenadiers > Riflemen