fa3_a108_IndforDontSurf_v5

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Lynche

fa3_a108_IndforDontSurf_v5

Post by Lynche »

My first mission, I think it want rather well.

Aside from the weather thing, does anyone have any feedback/opinions/condemnations?

Aqarius
Host

Re: fa3_a108_IndforDontSurf_v5

Post by Aqarius »

I like it a lot. it was funny as hell :D

What might (and I repeat, might,) be problematic is the terrain. BLU has the dominant high ground from the start, and manuevering more or less requires the loooong way around, and is not exactly stealthy. Granted, the hill is fairly barren, and this may just be my paranoia. Further field tests will tell. :jihad:
[/allegedly]

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

On the other hand OPFOR's hill despite being smaller has better cover and a much shorter route down-hill to the club itself. Arguably their concealment to the west of said is better than the one NATO has.

fer

Post by fer »

Remember, comrades, that whilst balance is important in adversarial missions, you don't have to make them all de_dust. This is Arma, not tennis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Was fun to CO. A couple of points.

* Taking the Surf Club pretty much condemns you to experience grenade spam hell from the other side, so i had little desire to do so. A timed incentive would be nice.
* Also said grenade spam hell might be mitigated by putting the friendly civilian surf club personnel in and around the surf club, with strict limits on what amount of carnage would cause them to quit their jobs. (They would have to be kept from running off somehow, might be as easy as to give them some waypoints and set them to careless. Have them wander around looking for our surfboards or something.)
* In this kind of matchup, rocket launchers feel pretty off. (If at times hilarious). I would really recommend altering the RAT loadout to be a simple Rifleman loadout. (All you have to do is remove two letters and change the unit description.)

Other than that congratulations on your first mission!

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

You could play with the setFog values to have fog slightly conceal the surf club while the hills are free of fog. That way you can't shoot accurate grenades downwards and the advantage of the high ground is slightly mitigated.

fer

Post by fer »

Definitely agree with the suggestion to convert AT troops to rifle men (from "rat" to "r"). However, I think the mechanics around grenades are fine right now. Taking and securing a location shouldn't necessarily be about simply getting to it first and camping for long enough for a timer to count down. Making the surf club really vulnerable to UGL and hand grenade bombardment means that attention must be given to destroying the enemy and/or securing all ground that dominates the club. That, in my mind, makes the mission less gamey, and reduces the 'race' aspect of the opening phase.

Edit: Sorry, I should also point out that I thought this played out super-well on Sunday!

Lynche

Post by Lynche »

I (finally) got round to updating the mission.
I've changed the RATs to Rs, and fixed a bug I noticed the first time round.

Thanks for all your feedback, there are some really interesting ideas there. I'm reluctant to change the UGLs just yet, as someone noted its up to the COs to take them into account. That said, I'll try to keep an eye on it and make changes based on how strategies develop (or don't)