fa3_c56_cordon_blu

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Ferrard Carson

fa3_c56_cordon_blu

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Mission Name: Cordon BLU
Version Number: 1
First played: 22 Feb. 2015

Please give me all critique and feedback you feel appropriate. I will compile issues and suggestions in this top level post and keep a rolling changelog.

Issue: Became too dark as mission wore on, NATO at distinct disadvantage in endgame.
Comments: This is partially what NATO has flashlights and flares for, but I fully acknowledge that the darkness became too much.
Planned Fix: Please help me find a way to freeze time so that visibility stays exactly the same as the starting conditions, optimized to permit 200m engagements, but nothing solid after that.

Suggestion: Give NATO access to a searchlight-equipped Hellcat
Comments: If I were to go this route, I would disable Night Vision and Thermals, then place the chopper 10 minutes away so that it wasn't on station until the infantry had maneuvered into position. I still feel like a helicopter is too much for what is supposed to be an intimate infantry affair, especially since CSAT really has no effective weapon to threaten it.

Suggestion: Give NATO an unarmed Hunter to be a mobile, almost invulnerable light source.
Comments: I fear this gives NATO too much mobility in the very start. I'm also not wild about giving NATO any single invulnerable asset.

Changelog:
- None yet!

More comments and critique are welcome!

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Sparks

Re: fa3_c56_cordon_blu

Post by Sparks »

Post a warning notice at the start of the mission to everyone to:
(a) Be careful not to grenade themselves
(b) Be careful not to set off their own mines

Also, the civilians set off a lot of mines too...
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Raptoer

Post by Raptoer »

The role of the marksman is kind of strange. At the start of the mission the fog caused the NVGs to be useless because they reflected too much light but either way spotting anyone at a distance useful to the rest of the team is nigh impossible and with the default optics trying to engage anyone is impossible.

I was trying to engage a person laying mines at 250m but by the time I had switched from the rangefinger to the rifle he had become just one more grey blob.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

NATO def. need more ways to illuminate the night. 3 flares per FTL are too few, I'd say 9 should be adequate. I'd also give every member a good number of chemlights.

What would be doable by scripting are trip-flares, by spawning a chemlight and some colored smoke.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

wolfenswan wrote:NATO def. need more ways to illuminate the night.
Preferably ones that don't involve friendly fire.
Mortar flares maybe?
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Planned Fix: Please help me find a way to freeze time so that visibility stays exactly the same as the starting conditions, optimized to permit 200m engagements, but nothing solid after that.
Try setTimeMultiplier at 0 or 0.1.

Alternatively: Why not have the mission start at dim lights but then get brighter, putting some time pressure on CSAT?

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

wolfenswan wrote:Alternatively: Why not have the mission start at dim lights but then get brighter, putting some time pressure on CSAT?
I like this. Also, is there a way to stop civvies from going minesweeping? It kinda... steals our thunder.
[/allegedly]

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Also, is there a way to stop civvies from going minesweeping? It kinda... steals our thunder.
Not really. Maybe auto-revealing the mines to the civ AI might help.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Take a look at simple mine system. It's straightforward to implement and fairly easy to use. The normal APERS mines are turned into proximity alert systems while the tripwires become tripflares. Both I can see as being very useful in your mission.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

After dicking around in arsenal, I can only suggest using the starter pistol. It shoots three flares at once and as it is a side-arm it does not need to be limited to SL/FTLs. Ofc. it's DLC content but people can drop it should the overlay get too annoying (which it shouldn't in the time the mission takes to play).