zz_a28_QuarryHotel

Help make Party-approved missions harder
wolfenswan

zz_a28_QuarryHotel

Post by wolfenswan »

It's like this:

minus robots and minotaurs. Damn you ARMA.

Current version: v1
Changelog wrote: Nothing yet

wolfenswan

Re: zz_a28_QuarryHotel

Post by wolfenswan »

For v2 I've been thinking of:
  • De-clutter the briefing and explain the role's better.
  • Reduce # of police cars.
  • Scripted no-shoot period at the beginning (30 sec).
  • Reduce time-to-die to 10 minutes default, maybe a parameter.
  • Disable SWS.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

As mentioned in an AAR:
Sparks wrote:Afterparty - The Game

We played two rounds of this, which I was looking forward to, though without working VON and direct chat, there's somewhat of a missing element here I think. Mind you, I'm also missing high FPS, good aim, and situational awareness, so it's not like I'm not used to missing elements.

But seriously, someone needs to tweak this one. You can't just shoot anyone that's not your quarry without penalty. That way lies utter chaos and a complete lack of target discrimination. And getting shot 30 seconds after the go because a certain SOMEONE thought my head looked like a good way to check their sight alignment. :P

Also, spawning literally three feet away from someone who has you as their quarry, that's just downright unfair.

Example of a problematic spawn (and the 40 seconds prior to this is an example of the problem of there being no penalty for shooting non-quarry targets):
http://youtu.be/nIkX8x1RPY8?t=27m08s

(That player had me as his quarry, my quarry was on the other side of the map)

Is there a way to ensure a minimum distance between spawn points for you and your quarry?
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

and the 40 seconds prior to this is an example of the problem of there being no penalty for shooting non-quarry targets)
What do you mean? There is one, you'll get time deducted.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

wolfenswan wrote:
and the 40 seconds prior to this is an example of the problem of there being no penalty for shooting non-quarry targets)
What do you mean? There is one, you'll get time deducted.
I was more thinking in terms of it being very very fatal :D

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

I agree, death for those who kill non quarry and desk duty for the rest of the round for cops how kill the unarmed!

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

In the next version the life time will be 10 minutes by default (and a parameter, so lower or higher is possible). Killing any non-quarry deducts 2 minute from that time. I could make it 4 or so but instant death doesn't seem like a good idea.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

wolfenswan wrote:In the next version the life time will be 10 minutes by default (and a parameter, so lower or higher is possible). Killing any non-quarry deducts 2 minute from that time. I could make it 4 or so but instant death doesn't seem like a good idea.
Say I start with 10 minutes, I shoot everyone I see ignoring quarry status (for the sake of easy math, assume I kill who I shoot and I'm a ninja so nobody sees me until they're wearing their kidneys as earrings).

With anything less than six people playing, I just win even if I never hit my quarry until the last shot.
With anything less than 12 people playing, I have about a 50% chance of winning.
You need way too many people playing to punish someone effectively with a time delay...

...and without a great big scary in-your-face countdown clock showing the penalty, you'd barely know you'd even incurred it.

If, on the other hand, shooting a non-quarry was to suddenly teleport you a thousand feet upwards, that would be an effective punishment and would be highly amusing to everyone else, even the unfairly perforated...

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

You're not accounting for the presence of civilian AI. They count as non-quarries as well (and I could probably up their #s quite a bit). Players can easily disguise as AI by dropping backpack and holsters.

And as said, I'll prob. increase the penalty to 4 minutes which should be a stronger deterrent. There are situations where shooting a non-quarry is fine, but the script will still recognize it as a offense. A too harsh penalty seems unfair in that case.
...and without a great big scary in-your-face countdown clock showing the penalty, you'd barely know you'd even incurred it.
Text should be more prominent in the next version. Either as cutText in the lower center of the screen or as a notification (like F3 safestart uses).