fa_c40_holdtheline

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Eagle_Eye

Re: fa_c40_holdtheline

Post by Eagle_Eye »

ARRRRGGGGHH. God there is nothing worse than not having missions run properly. I was seething last night. The spectator script is still broken, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. There are no extra scripts running in this mission except ManOP (which just moves like 5 units into the Observation towers) and wolfenswans garrison script.

And yet, something awful is happening. The only thing I can think of is that there are too many triggers running? or just too many enemies on the map altogether? I cant see any script errors when I play, and I have tested the spectator mode with 2 people on the testing server.

Apart from that I noticed 2 other bugs, and I dont know if it is me or F3 thats to blame.
1) When Juliet squad spawn, they can see the markers for themselves, but not Alpha Bravo or Charlie (or at least I could only see the reinforcements on my map, and noone else)
2) Also the reinforcements seemed to have no hints pop up on their screen during the counterattack. I think it worked for everyone else. The hints are run local in an on act of a trigger, so I dont see why they didnt fire for the reinforcements.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

The reason NATO can't see FIA's markers (and vice versa, presumably) is that you have players in two different (allied) factions, but haven't allowed cross-faction markers. Go into <mission file>/f/groupMarkers/f_setLocalGroupMarkers.sqf, and you'll see that each faction has separate lists - they can only see what is on their lists. Grab all of the NATO section and copy-pasta it into the FIA section. Grab all of the FIA section and copy-pasta it into the NATO section. Then everyone will see each other's markers.

The FPS and Spectator bug... yeah, that I don't have an answer for. It seems like both are the symptom of something else really nasty, as Wolf was reporting a 5Mb/s upstream clog from the server and Head thinks that the Spectator bug was caused by something slowing the server to such a point that the seagull wasn't spawning in time for Spectator script to catch it before breaking. Something in your mission is going haywire, overloading the server and flooding waaaay too much information to our computers - fix that, and I'm guessing everything else will fall in line.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

In case it helps any, yours is not the first mission I've seen that spectator bug in, I've seen it in lightning strike as well, but also in a few other missions. I die, I wind up in the default ARMA spectator mode, not our spectator script. It seems to happen randomly for me.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

fer

Post by fer »

Eagle_Eye - I wasn't in the main town, but from hosts chat I was getting reports about crates containing Titan launchers. Apologies, I haven't had a chance to crack open the mission file and check for myself, but is this true? If so, please can you consider alternative approaches to lending the platoon appropriate anti-armour capability? One of the things we try to avoid is situation whereby lots of guests end up wielding looted/scavenged equipment - esp. if it leads to lots of comrades equipped with rifles and launchers. Hit me up on Skype if you would like to chat in more detail. Really enjoyed the mission last night, BTW, despite the sFPS issues.

:v:

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Sparks wrote:In case it helps any, yours is not the first mission I've seen that spectator bug in, I've seen it in lightning strike as well, but also in a few other missions. I die, I wind up in the default ARMA spectator mode, not our spectator script. It seems to happen randomly for me.
That helps indeed as that too is a mission by Eagle_Eye. I'd suggest identifying methods used in both and eliminating them.

I noticed in Hold the Line a lot of randomized waypoints are used and no AI is cached. Reduction of the former and enabling the latter might help already.

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Yeah it seems that might be the problem. I never really thought waypoints would be an issue. Is there something I should be doing about caching? I thought it was a F3/host thing, so I had never really thought about it.

I'll have to download a couple of yours and see where I am going wrong. I presume you have Gatorraid on your github yeah, that has a fair bit of stuff going on in it.