fa3_c64_AltisPirateParty

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Eagle_Eye

fa3_c64_AltisPirateParty

Post by Eagle_Eye »

A firefight on the island on Makrynisi.

Let me know any comments you might have?

Sparks

Re: fa3_c64_AltisPirateParty

Post by Sparks »

Didn't like the terrain (but I see why you chose it and it's hard to fault for that). Low visibility for the defenders, sparse hard cover. If you don't have the numbers to push forward and meet the attackers, you're pretty hosed.

Also, with the short ranges, maybe ARs and UGLs are just overpowered (not to mention UAVs)? SMGs (and pistols only for CO/FTL) and RGNs (CO/FTL gets more) would make this fairly entertaining - but maybe too afterpartyish...
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play this one, so I'm not sure how things were down on the ground.

From spectating it seemed pretty exciting. The AAF have the superior armor and MMGs, and I gave them an opportunity to get closer to the enemy with the fog. Obviously FIA are defending so they have that advantage, plus the UAV thrown in there to counterattack the individual's poor visibility.

You might be right that the overall firepower levels are slightly too high. But I think SMGs and pistols are just too weak, and all fireteam bounding/tactics go out the window with them.
A reduction in the 40mm grenades could be something to tinker with, maybe 2 per FTL to make them a bit more valuable.

Overall I like the heavier firepower though because it means the players can play properly (like they would in a coop), and it keeps the mission relatively short and orderly as people die off and dont need 10 SMG mags to kill 1 person.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Eagle_Eye wrote:Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play this one, so I'm not sure how things were down on the ground.
Awkward :D
Lousy visibility towards the attackers (at least from my location). I have the raw video, I can put it up if you want?
From spectating it seemed pretty exciting. The AAF have the superior armor and MMGs, and I gave them an opportunity to get closer to the enemy with the fog.
There was fog? I thought it was just my abacus' draw distance :D
Also, we had no useful hard cover, they had armor and MMGs. That seems like the defenders are at a disadvantage. Especially when the only decent hard cover is very obvious buildings and OPFOR have UGLs and grenades.
You might be right
Ah heyor, don't go mad now :P
I think SMGs and pistols are just too weak, and all fireteam bounding/tactics go out the window with them.
The problem's the range - you could happily kill OPFOR at their spawn point from BLUFOR's spawn point if you just had visibility with these rifles and a bit of aiming -- you don't have line of sight, but the potential is the issue. I mean, you chose the terrain to force people into relatively close engagements (~100m), having 300-500m ranged rifles kindof works against that.
Overall I like the heavier firepower though because it means the players can play properly (like they would in a coop), and it keeps the mission relatively short and orderly as people die off and dont need 10 SMG mags to kill 1 person.
10 SMG mags? Without body armor, it's 2-3 hits and that's maybe 5 aimed shots.
I mean, if you're running about on full-auto and spraying, sure, but that's true of every weapon in the game.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse