fa3_c42_radioGaga

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Eagle_Eye

fa3_c42_radioGaga

Post by Eagle_Eye »

NATO and FIA team up to sweep the city of Neochori and destroy the AAF radio transmitter.

Future suggestions please!

Sparks

Re: fa3_c42_radioGaga

Post by Sparks »

I hate you and your static AT and HMG nests overlooking obvious amphibious landing areas. It's not end-running the scenario, it's a coordinated assault! :P

Other than that, I really dug this one, but I think we might need either more FIA people (at least a second fireteam) or more useful loadouts (M14s with scopes maybe :P ). And the medic could use more smoke grenades (bigger backpack maybe?)
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

I hate you and your static AT and HMG nests overlooking obvious amphibious landing areas
I have been known to place some rather uncomfortable HMGs in the past, but in this case it was very intentional. The FIA infantry in that mission are very much not some sort of unstoppable team of shock troops. Their (intended) goal is to make it to the city and clear out some city blocks so that the mechanised infantry have some room to breath. Once they have linked up, the FIA force can then act as a rearguard and skirmishing element for the NATO troops as they hunt for the supply cache and assault the radio tower.

Personally (and I never like to criticise a CO's plan, god knows I've made enough crap ones), and from the mission makers point of view, I think the approach on this mission was a bit lopsided. The AAF have quite a strong hold on the main road (as marked on the map), and the CO is advised in the briefing to try and keep his assault limited to the inside of the city so as to avoid other heavier AAF elements becoming involved. This is exactly what happened when you landed up the coast from the city, where there was little cover and a whole lot of empty field for the defended radio tower to cover.

I will admit to placing a lot of statics in this mission, but they are all positioned in such a way that they can effectively cover a finite view, and not snipe people across the map (this is something I am trying to work on in my mission making in general). The IFV and infantry are therefore forced to stick together and protect each other. We were probably short a few people on sunday night, and the splitting of forces added to that, but thats how it goes sometimes, I didnt fully expect us to complete the 2 objectives. I would love to see us try it again soon with a full compliment of Alpha + Bravo + 2 IFVs plus a charlie squad.

As for the FIA firepower, thats part of the reason they need to regroup and support the NATO elements. I have never heard a single complaint about the medic running out of grenades, so I think you must have had a record number of times that required one. Again it probably comes down to being caught under HMG fire. BTW, can you not get smokes off of dead bodies? Thats your speciality man, you should have no problem finding more.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Also dislike criticising CO plans, but on the other hand in this case, if we'd cruised up the coast into the bay to hook up with NATO at the western end of the town, I feel like we'd have drawn fire from every AI in the town with line of sight on the bay (there's not enough distance there really). Would we even have drawn fire from the static HMG/AT emplacements at the radio tower? I mean, I looked at that plan and thought "eh.... but I don't want to sail past the town full of enemy ai either..." so I'd probably have done the same thing.

And dude. I looted corpses like a ... er... um... what loots corpses? A resurrection man? One of them. And I'm an equal opportunities corpse looter, I don't care if you're FIA, AAF, NATO, CSAT, Civilian or rabbit, I'm nicking your stuff off your still-twitching corpse. It's just that damn few had smokes. It was like they come with government health warnings and the entire AAF had switched to menthols and RGOs instead.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Well the map markers are meant to signal to the CO that the southern shore of the town (down by the pier), is relatively light on infantry. I dont think you will come under any heavy fire (thats the plan anyway), and to be honest you do have a GMG on the front of the boat to clear the way for you. The city is so dense that you should be able to get your squad onto the shore and holding a crossroads in town without much difficulty.

These are all assumptions I make in my head about what I would do as CO, so obviously others think differently. Tis nice to discuss these things though because it means I can tweak the enemies/map markers/briefings to make things a bit more straightforward. In this case its just a more subtle nudge to the CO though, I still think the best plan is to get your 2 forces close enough so that they can support each other.