fa_a49_Landfall

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Aqarius
Host

fa_a49_Landfall

Post by Aqarius »

Much like in the lands of our dear friend Kim, the radios do not turn off. But at least our navy floats :laugh:
[/allegedly]

Sparks

Re: fa_a49_Landing

Post by Sparks »

From the BBC reporter's point of view, that was awesome. Forget Private Ryan, that was V Beach (read a better book :P )
I do wish you could alter the splendid camera's controls to use an inverted mouse y-axis, it mucked up smooth panning quite a bit, and not having nametags in the hud (because technically the BBC were on another side) caused me some confusion, but there were some excellent moments.

I did notice that the artillery pieces could have been destroyed though, if enough satchel charges had been around. There was time.

And dat landing... whooooo boy.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

I'm not sure this mission is achievable without some reworking. I've been through it twice now and this time as an observer from Charlie I can maybe collect my thoughts a little better.

I don't have any solutions to this but here are some of my raw observations.

1. The commute across water takes way too long and leads to most of the troops sitting there aimlessly for about 5mins+.
2. On both attempts, the CO chose a southern approach. An approach you must have predicted as the artillery script demonstrates. I can't see how another approach without alerting the enemy to the north of the tip of the island is possible. It seems like an impossible task with something like air support to help soften the LZs for troops. You would either have to kick out way west (and run into the QRF) of start at the western tip and fight a long protracted battle into base.
3. The artillery script, whilst cinematically good and immersive, killed a lot of people for no good reason other than them speeding to meet their objective. I'm not sure if this is enjoyable game play even if it is "realistic".

I would consider air support instead of mortars. And what about Chinook delivered IFVs instead of swimming all the way to the islands. Or even just start on the lower side of the island to the south.

I appreciate the effort that has gone into this....it is clearly a well made mission...I just don't find it all the enjoyable due to the "meat grinder" effect.

I did enjoy the song on the radio even though I was annoyed it wouldn't turn off. What was the song Aquarius?
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Tigershark wrote:I did enjoy the song on the radio even though I was annoyed it wouldn't turn off. What was the song Aquarius?
https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/1071311/getting-harder
They have some great stuff.

Yeah, the radio is supposed to turn off, but the whole *radio function set is behaving rather erratically. And the say* set ain't much better. I'll try to think of a workaround, but I have a feeling it's beyond my sqf skill :(

I'm considering adding additional IFV elements, and making the troop transports just transports. The arty barrage can be thinned out, but it's not lethal to the vehicles. The rounds can at most take out the wheels, but require direct hits well into the double digits to actually kill a car (the CO Strider was killed by an Nlaw from the reinforcement team). The only way the arty can kill someone is if they decide to swim for it, or if they disembark and hang around the beach long enough to randomly be hit by an outlier round.
[/allegedly]