[Sun] 10 May 2015 (We're not in Kansas anymore)

How we died (in the future)
Leander

Re: [Sun] 10 May 2015 (We're not in Kansas anymore)

Post by Leander »

This was my first session with Folk ARPS, and actually my first session with any dedicated group. Prior to this I had only about 30h of experience in Arma.

I connected to TS an hour early just to see if something was going on, and intended to perhaps set up my comms controls properly before the session. Suddenly I found myself in Ferrard's workshop, doing bounds without hearing comms because of the shooting, trying to open ammo boxes, and accidentally dropping grenades in tight spaces. "Which team am I in? Blue? Ok, so blue suppresses, and red runs... And I was blue, right? So I'm running... no?"

Low Tide
I spent much of the mission out of breath, running behind the rest of Alpha 1 (i think?). Raptoer educated me about zeroing sights and managing stamina. Towards the end in the compound I saw what I thought was a pile of dead friendlies outside of a doorway. I peaked in and shot a guy who I at that split second deemed to be an enemy looking straight at me. I'm sorry if you weren't!

Cordon BLU
I ended up as NATOs Bravo medic, once again under the command of Raptoer. I realized I had no night vision goggles (was that my fault, or is that how it was supposed to be?), so I just blindly followed Raptoer's hexagon marker in the darkness. We sat in a bush on a hill, scanning the area. It was all quiet, calm and dark. Then a grenade exploded in my face, somehow not killing me. Then I rembember running around on the top of that hill, treating asterisks that sometimes appeared on my otherwise pitch black screen.

Unfortunately I had to leave after that. This was a fun experience, and I felt very welcome. I look forward to the next session, as well as learning more about the game.

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Low Tide
NATO CO
This was more or less a textbook runthrough. After early trouble with the UGV headlights (apparently, small arms can't damage the UGV, unless you go for the eyes, Boo), the two squads climbed the southwestern ridge and leapfrogged forwards, under the watchful optics of the UGV CROWS. The relatively uneventful nature of the advance was ensured by the UAV operator, deftly removing high-value targets from outside their engagement range, whether by longrange HMG fire or by AGMs. The crowning moment of glory for the UGV, though, was the gunship. As soon as the gunship rolled in, the UGV started shooting, and managed to fatally damage the main rotor just as the Hellcat lined it's guns up with the buggy. The buggy turned into a fireball as the heli crashed just beneath it. The operator survived, and took part in the final assault. Soon after, the AGMs ran out and the platoon took out it's NLAWs and played a rousing game of Whack-A-Tank, before popping all the smoke and charging the main base from the south, entirely bypassing the ridge emplacement towers. Running ahead, with various flavors of grenades flying over my head, I reach the southern entrance and spot a group of AI staring at me from the dirt. I toss an RGO at them, and get my head blown off.
I jump to limbo, where I find out I'm the first to die in this one. Lead by example, I guess. The mission ends some 2 minutes and 3 casualties later :jihad: .

Cordon BLU
NATO ASL
Guesstimating the likely paths of approach of the enemy, A1 and A2 placed their mines and took a position in the cordon. My trusty medic and myself joined them, and proceeded to sit there in complete pitch black darkness, twitching at every sound and shadow for the next 10 minutes or so. Soon enough, though, Bravo started reporting contacts, and even traded some fire. A1 advanced into grenade range, but this opened a hole in the cordon and was recalled to it's position. Luckily, the enemy was foolish enough to give chase, and found itself once again under fire from Bravo. Dispatching A2 to deal with a possible flanking team, I launched a flare to give A1 some eyes. Que the chatter:
"I think the flare's too high."
"Yeah, It's not helping. The light's too weak."
"You need to shoot it lower, it's not really lighting the-THERE THEY ARE!!!"
After achieving what I can assume was complete and total fire superiority, BLUFOR declared victory.
[/allegedly]

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Honestly not sure if that flare helped much aquarius, because while lit up by it, we came under friendly fire :D
MOAR LIGHT NEEDED! :D
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

I'm too lazy to quote but-

Kefirz - Yup, I know, but like you said, it's more effective to address by role, so I'll try and do that...sounds cooler too :D

Sparks - Check out the attachments to this post! You may consider turning Afterburner's own on-screen display off, and there's an option that says "Show On-Screen Display on captured photos and videos" under the On-Screen Display tab - you may want to turn that un-tick that.

BTW, Alpha 3 called in to say they were all down - no casualties in Alpha 2. ;)

EDIT: The files are in reverse order, and you'll have to specify "audio source 2" as well, of course.

Leander - Glad you liked it! And yeah, this was probably the first workshop where I was 90% not confused, so you'll get used to it - everyone here is awesome and very helpful as well.

Everyone - who was shot by the AI dude in the ruins? I thought that was Aquarius but he was alive almost till the end...
Attachments
RivaTuner Statistics Server Settings
RivaTuner Statistics Server Settings
RivaTunerStatServer_settings_1_jpeg.jpg (239.21 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
Afterburner Settings - 2
Afterburner Settings - 2
msiAfterburner_settings_2_jpeg.jpg (252.03 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
Afterburner Settings - 1
Afterburner Settings - 1
msiAfterburner_settings_1_jpeg.jpg (251.89 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com