[Sun] 17 May 2015 (Bushwhacking)

How we died (in the future)
Sparks

Re: [Sun] 17 May 2015 (Bushwhacking)

Post by Sparks »

Don't think it was your settings SK, MSI is just very, very precious about how the game behaves. If the game crashes, MSI goes nuts. OBS doesn't.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Sparks wrote:Don't think it was your settings SK, MSI is just very, very precious about how the game behaves. If the game crashes, MSI goes nuts. OBS doesn't.
Yeah, I've observed this as well. Afterburner has a lot of options but it can be tricky. Why'd you switch in the first place, though? To save on CPU?
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

SuicideKing wrote:Yeah, I've observed this as well. Afterburner has a lot of options but it can be tricky. Why'd you switch in the first place, though? To save on CPU?
MSI allows you to save the Mic audio and the Game audio in seperate streams, which is handy because if I put the mic too close to my face my breathing messes up the audio something fierce and it's easier to filter it seperately.

However, Equalizer APO lets me stick a graphic equaliser (well, it's graphic if I use the Peace GUI :D ) into the audio stream from the mic before it reaches the game, so that should sort the problem and let me use OBS again. MSI isn't *that* much lighter-weight than OBS, it's a difference of 2-3fps at most. 2-3fps vs losing hours of footage? No contest.

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Sparks wrote: However, Equalizer APO lets me stick a graphic equaliser (well, it's graphic if I use the Peace GUI :D ) into the audio stream from the mic before it reaches the game.
AHA! So that's why your voice sounds radio-y over group VON!

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

SuicideKing wrote:
Sparks wrote: However, Equalizer APO lets me stick a graphic equaliser (well, it's graphic if I use the Peace GUI :D ) into the audio stream from the mic before it reaches the game.
AHA! So that's why your voice sounds radio-y over group VON!
I think that might actually be filters in the teamspeak plugin :D

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Even in your own videos? I remember seeing your name appear in green when this happened.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

SuicideKing wrote:
Even in your own videos? I remember seeing your name appear in green when this happened.
Yeah, because OBS doesn't grab the mic directly, it's grabbing the main audio feed and the APO's in the line ahead of it. That was MSI's great feature, capturing multiple audio tracks for seperate post-processing (a feature let down by absolutely everything else it did being broken abysmally, but meh). OBS's devs say they're working on multiple audio tracks, but it's not a priority and they're working instead on a total rewrite that's platform-independent. Problem is, as any software engineer will tell you, rewrites take ages just to get back up to where the original version was...

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Sparks wrote:
SuicideKing wrote:
Yeah, because OBS doesn't grab the mic directly, it's grabbing the main audio feed and the APO's in the line ahead of it. That was MSI's great feature, capturing multiple audio tracks for seperate post-processing (a feature let down by absolutely everything else it did being broken abysmally, but meh). OBS's devs say they're working on multiple audio tracks, but it's not a priority and they're working instead on a total rewrite that's platform-independent. Problem is, as any software engineer will tell you, rewrites take ages just to get back up to where the original version was...
Ah, I see. Thanks! Yeah Afterburner is useful that way. Until it crashes of course!

Yeah, rewrites are lengthy, especially cross-platform ones.