[Tue] 09 Jun 2015 (Crush[Crash] your enemies!)

How we died (in the future)
Eagle_Eye

[Tue] 09 Jun 2015 (Crush[Crash] your enemies!)

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Tonight a band of 16 Comrades came along for some intimate wartime fun.

Tonight we played :
  • Mailman
  • Rebel Alliance Part 2
  • Miscommunication
  • Corporate Synergy
  • Rebel Alliance Part 1
Battling through hardship and enemies, updates and crashes to desktop, the party forces managed to save our precious data from the grip of CSAT in Mailman. Let us pray that the hard-drive contained plans for the badly needed seatbelt upgrade for the fleet of Hurons.

In rebel alliance Parts 1 and 2, the evil CSAT empire and their AAF cronies took the day, crushing the FIA rebel camps and pushing their beleagured resistance back into the northern reaches of Altis. Stay tuned for part 3 and 4, where the rebels will need full command of the blu-force in order to defeat their enemies.

Miscommunication brought about a frantic firefight in a small town, where the valiant AIF could not withstand the ceaseless grenades of the FAI (or was is the other way around?).

And finally we took comrade Raptoers new mission Corporate Synergy for a test run. The plan was flawless, the enemy caught completely unawares, the IFV didn't know what had hit it. So all in all we lasted about 4 minutes before we died.

As always, leave comments below of the interesting times, and please leave feedback for the mission makers in the mission making forum! If you have video propoganda, make sure to share, we can add it to our glorious repository

Sparks

Re: [Tue] 9 June (Crush[Crash] your enemies!)

Post by Sparks »

It does appear we have a problem with the new Arma update and newer nVidia drivers.
And with the new Arma update and any version of trackIR prior to 5.2.2
And with the new Arma update and OBS unless you turn on the anticheat video compatability option thingy.
And with... well, you get the idea :D
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

So obviously, no video from this one. Well, I could just show you a black 1280x720 square, that'd cover most of what we saw...

Mailman
A1 AAR/TH1 Pilot

Another issue from the Arma update is that joystick controllers are acting up, apparently. Raiman was slotted as pilot, but without joystick, couldn't fly, so he and I swapped seats (I fly M+K so I was okay). Out over the sea, headed for an ingress point to the due south of the crash site, fast low approach and skidded sideways in dumping speed over the ridgeline rocks and dropped into an LZ about 30m from the cover of the rocks with a few new holes in the hull and an orange engine warning light and a deep-seated wish that there was a Master Caution Alarm Cancel button somewhere (it's a real thing, why isn't it in Arma? I know stuff's broken, let me focus on keeping other stuff from getting broken!). I lifted off once everyone was off safely, Raiman still on board manning the guns, but as we legged it north to loop round, he changed seats and I was suddenly talking to myself. I like to think he killed at least one very surprised-looking AI as he hit. I abandoned plans to orbit and shoot and headed out over water to hover. I thought that the team was so close to the crash site that it'd be a matter of moments, but it took a few minutes, that's why I didn't RTB for a new helo (that's my story, I'm sticking to it).

NSA got the intel, I got the evac call, I looped around from the north and made another fast low approach to a point 1km due north of the LZ, did a 90 degree crash turn to dump 250kts of speed in under 6 seconds, then approached at a sane speed keeping low to mask the enemies to the south from me with terrain. A masterful display of flying only undermined by the one enemy hiding in cover directly beneath me who emptied a full mag of something into the Huron's arse. The resulting landing was a little hinky (you land a damn bus without a tail rotor!) but everyone bar Tigershark made it to the Huron.

You guys want the good news or the bad news?
The good news!
You're alive right now. Bad news is, we're leaking fuel. Maybe two minutes flying time left...

After a bit of dithering, we lifted and legged it north then towards base, hoping to get as far as possible before I had to autorotate into a wall killing us all safely to a smooth landing and we then had to get chased down and murdered by tanks and IFVs make our way home on foot. At this point someone lost all hope and just jumped out of the Huron anyway, figuring his chances were better that way. But the mission was called as a victory while we were still in the air, so yay us! (Actually I think we'd have made it home).

BTW, Hurons without tail rotors? Pain in the fundament, even with pedals...

Rebel Alliance Part 2
A2 RAT

Our FTL (Madrak) crashed right at the start, so we left his AI standing (as he was the FTL, none of us could order it about) and headed for the village we had to assault. We got into position on a small hill to the south, while MMG and A1 got the bigger hills to our right, and once Madrak had rejoined us, started to sneak forward to scout for enemy. Madrak found them, and I tried covering him from ten metres back with smoke and carbine fire. He asked me to join him, I sprinted ten metres forward, unloaded a clip towards the enemy and took a round straight through the helmet into spectator mode. Ow.

The remainder of the mission saw our forces get more attrition from arma crashes than the enemy, right up until we hit the village and discovered that not only had they had a technical (which Madrak killed using 3 UGL rounds, also killing four or five AI and a building in the process - literally demolished it when the technical blew up), but also an MRAP with a HMG. Tigershark did manage to sneak up behind the strider, but then found that a vehicle armoured against mines and IEDs was resistant to hand grenades and close-range AR fire, but old cinderblock sheds are not resistant to point-blank .50 BMG fire. Let this be a lesson folks, you're supposed to sneak up, pick the lock, open the door, knife the gunner and driver, then steal the strider and use it to kill everyone. Check your key bindings before the mission...

Miscommunication

CHARGE!
CHARGE SOME MORE!
MY GOSH WE'RE QUITE A WAYS FURTHER SOUTH THAN I THOUGHT WE WERE! CHARGE NORTH!
CHARGE THROUGH THAT GAP IN THE WALL!
YOU'RE NOT A FRIENDL--

Hmmm.
I still think Gaius would have won that round if the cowardly IFA had had the guts to storm the stairs he was covering in the command center instead of lobbing grenades...

Corporate Synergy
MMG1 gunner

After a bit of Gran Turismo on the approach, which Tigershark and I totally won, we approached our first restricted zone through an armed checkpoint. When we dismounted, we were met by a four-man roving patrol, who walked up to us, looked at us funny and walked off. We scouted about, found all the enemies we could see, laid a satchel charge for the IFV, lined MMG up on a fireteam standing guard and A1 and A2 on various patrols and sentries, then on command's signal, blew the IFV to chunks and opened fire on all the AI simultaneously. I'm not sure what happened next, but Team MMG killed all of their targets before taking six rounds to the spleen and bleeding out...

Rebel Alliance Part 1
A1 RAT

Ton of fun on this one. We teleported north of our target points, MMG got overwatch on the first compound, A2 covered and A1 legged it towards the target. We snuck up on the first wall, I poked my head around the south corner to watch the backs of the buildings, everyone else checked the north corner to keep an eye on the 50 cal in the gas station. Then someone walked round the corner at me and lots of shooting started up. Pretty sure I dropped the first guy, but he had friends so I pulled back thinking we should go the other way. I met Eagle coming at me, and A1 was now him and me so that was a bad idea. We went back to the south corner, legged it along the back of the building and into its compound through a break in the wall. Cleared that, got a line on the 50 cal, stuck an RPG into it. Might have killed it. Not sure. Pushed forward, clearing as we went. Got engaged and took one to the spleen. Eagle tried to get him, just got spleen'd as well for his trouble. Mabbot revived me, I threw smoke and ran up to get eagle up, did so and mid-revive spotted to my horror an AI 5 meters away taking cover. Fired on him the second I got control back from the revive animation, got at least one into him but he got my kidney and the remains of my spleen, and a chunk of Eagle's liver. Mabbot finished the AI off, then revived both of us, we all had a group hug and then Eagle pushed for the road while Mabbot pushed on through the buildings on this side.

Got at least one AI trying to shoot Eagle while he looked down the road, then we lobbed smoke and sprinted across, and someone shot me in the liver. Eagle revived me, and we pushed further west clearing out the gas station. Then everyone started shooting at the gas station while we were in it and got Eagle in the intestine. I scavenged a few FAKs off corpses and revived him, and we pushed on west, me pausing only briefly to loot FAKs and grenades off the dead, which we lobbed in great numbers at suspected enemy positions. Finally we were clearing the second-last enemy compound, Eagle cleared the warehouse and I went to clear the attached shed. Nobody in the warehouse, three guys in the shed (wtf?) and while I got one and injured another, he shot me in the lung and down I went. And then Arma crashed. While I restarted and reconnected, eagle and mabbot killed the others in the shed and revived my AI ghost. Then someone shot Eagle in the head just as I reconnected. I grenaded the shed just to be sure, almost shot MMG, then linked up with the surviving squad mates and we assaulted the last compound. We'd cleared it, and then Arma crashed my video driver again, and three others simultaneously. That kindof brought things to a close. Moral victory, nice teamwork, lots of nades, more holes than sepp blatter's bank history but we kept on truckin' - it was grand :)

Ralian

Post by Ralian »

This was only my third session here, I'm really starting to enjoy this group. I also started recording today; I have good footage of all missions except the first, which I may edit into this post at a later time. I stuck to AT infantry most of this session, and then became a fireteam lead for the last mission :o

Mailman
TH1 Door Gunner

Well, I was supposed to be the pilot. Sparks, the update did not break my joystick driver like you said; rather, my keybindings for my Ralian profile were reset and moved to my Will profile, so I had no authority over the helicopter with my joystick. I hopped out and due to my lack of combat gear as a pilot took up the door gunner seat. As sparks mentioned, I was the first (but not the last!) that could have used a tighter seat belt in the huron, and my run as door gunner ended embarrassingly early. :oops:

I switched back to my Will profile with all my keybindings for the rest of the session.

Rebel Alliance Part 2
A1 AT

This was a fun one. One took up positions east of the town, hit some ai, then promptly pulled back after a few grenades landed too close to us for comfort. We went towards the town, and I was hit in the head crossing a field. :roll: I watched the rest of the mission, which consisted of everyone getting ripped through by a hunter.

Miscommunication
A1 AT

I didn't really score any kills on this one, but it was fun regardless. I missed one opportunity for a kill early on, then spent the rest of the time mucking around with Aquarius in the city where I expected there to be enemies around every corner, but Aquarius took point so I didn't really see much. Aquarius did a good job at not getting us murdered brutally.

Corporate Synergy
A1 Saboteur (basically just a rifleman)

Good lord, where to start on this one. I think we needed about three times the manpower we had. The sabotage took a solid 20 minutes of planning and setting up, it was so complicated. Once we had a plan in place, everything went well for about 30 seconds. The IFV blew up, killing the crew, and I believe IND forces hit a good deal of BLU targets. Suddenly, all I heard were reports of people going down, and "User left your channel." Within the first 45 seconds I heard the MMG, several saboteurs and all of A2 go down. Everyone died, leaving me and boberro pinned down northwest of the objective, trying to get away. The few that survived this certainly would have been taken prisoner by BLU, and their shrine to capitalism remains.

The link to the ARPS intro download is dead... could someone get that to me so I can add a proper intro to my Folk ARPS videos?

Rebel Alliance Part 1
A2 Lead

Well, this is basically where I said "f it, I'll be a squad lead." And hey, it wasn't too bad. However, I don't think my team was as effective as it could have been, thanks to me. In any case I managed to keep myself, peasant, grumpy, and qgren alive for the first 20 minutes... until they all got slaughtered... :oops:
We teleported north of the objective and covered alpha one as they proceeded to the first bunker. I could have done that part a lot better, I think I kept A2 in a really bad position to support A1. We went through the objectives alright but after clearing the complex southwest of objective three, my team just up and died. I mean, it was a matter of five seconds. One second we were peeking to the southwest from the buildings, five seconds later everyone was dead but me. I think I need to learn when to tell people to be more aggressive, and when to be more careful :roll:
I joined SL madrad and squad medic mabbott for the rest of the session, and we suprisingly survived right up until the end. Good victory, everyone! And my consolation to my squad who fought so bravely.
There are only three things I hate in this world: Ranting, Lists, and Irony.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Ralian wrote:Sparks, the update did not break my joystick driver like you said; rather, my keybindings for my Ralian profile were reset and moved to my Will profile, so I had no authority over the helicopter with my joystick.
Ah, I see. I thought you'd been hit with the bug they reported in the BI forums after the latest upgrade (seems there are some controller issues out there at the moment).

I do love how BI schedules these updates before our tuesday sessions...

Peasant

Re: [Tue] 09 June (Crush[Crash] your enemies!)

Post by Peasant »

[/i]Mailman Medic

Helicopters are seriously loud. Also, my repeated patching up of Tigershark was in vain, for he was left behind.

Rebel Alliance Part 2 MMG spotter

so, turns out Tigershark has a bigger gun than Eagle Eye. Who knew?

Also, never go into the danger zone. it is dangerous. Good learning experience as a section leader though. Need to learn to make better contact reports.

miscomunication alpha 2 rifleman

Things I learnt: you can hear people running in Arma.
Always check you have a pistol before you go for it.
In urban combat, always have a full clip.

Corprate synergy alpha 1 saboteur?

I think the idea is that you try to do every objective simultaneously. I'm not sure we can pull off Ocean's 11 grade heists. we certainly did not manage it that time. Definitely try again though.

Rebel alliance part 1 alpha 2 Autorifleman /i]

teleporting to the other end of of the village is very much the way to go on this one. Ralian, you did fine as fireteam lead. Good level of communications.

I ended up on the left flank, which gave some really good angles on the AI as it attempted to flank alpha 1 as they took the first compund.

when we went inside the compounds, things did not go so well. I apologise to whoever I shot in the back when alpha 1 crossed the road

Then we hit the third compound, and as Ralian said, we all died. turns out the AI decided that the back of the copound was worth defending, not the front. More organised compound clearing would be the order of the day I guess. We all spread out and got shot at one by one as we wandered towards the sound of bullets.

Then my computer crashed completely. All in all, good session.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Helicopters are seriously loud. Also, my repeated patching up of Tigershark was in vain, for he was left behind.
I appreciate that dude.

Also Sparks, yeah..we totally powned those guys in our sleek pickup vs there transport truck. Pussies.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

so, turns out Tigershark has a bigger gun than Eagle Eye. Who knew?
Just like....everyone. Especially the ladeez and several of FolKARPS members mothers.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Our sleek pickup with its sick paintjob bro.

Also, BI figured it out and fixed it:
CHANGELOG
ENGINE:
Changed: BattlEye anti-cheat blocking of not white-listed processes temporarily disabled
Fixed: Incorrect setting of weapon proxy drawing LOD (causing DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED crashes of primarily NVIDIA display drivers)
Fixed: Incompatibility of the terrain vertex shader and its depth priming pixel shader
Hotfixed: Potential crash mostly observed while playing the Epoch mod
Fixed: Potential server crash