[Sun] 19 Jul 2015 (Getting harder)

How we died (in the future)
Ralian

Re: [Sun] 19 Jul (Getting harder)

Post by Ralian »

Sparks wrote:Secondly, I mucked up the approach because of that lack of plan. If you watch TH2's approach, he got it right - came in low and fast, and was exposed for a minimal amount of time. He was unlucky and the AI hit him anyway; but he was on the right path. I came in higher, over 50m up at one point, because I needed to see the LZ - if I'd planned this out, I wouldn't have needed to do this - and as soon as TH2 was down, the enemy AI switched to TH3 and we got turned into swiss cheese.
Sadly, it is my belief that there was no 'right approach' to this exfil. The TH's had a 0 % chance to survive. Also, if you sync my video with yours, I believe you get shot down first :p
There was just so much goddamn mg fire, and no 'low, convex' approach to hide behind. If I had more authority with the situation, I would have told alpha to book it southwest to the jetty with the beached sub equipment where we all could have picked them up with relative ease. I think I also had a bit of 'get-there-itis...' I knew from the first infil/map what the best approach would be, but I didn't stop and think to ask how much fire alpha was still encountering in the area. Past a certain point you simply can't avoid fire.

Also, can we please commend the sheer amount of video and report put the time into making!? holy hell.
Bobo wrote:And, @Ralian, again my apologies. I got a severe case of confusion when we landed, and was pulling out wounded from the chopper when I should have been inside! There was one live A2 on the bench, and I'm pretty sure I saw two wounded as well. If I ever crew-chief for you again, I can promise I'll be a more talkative and useful comrade!
Bobo, I'm not too worried about it. I should have guessed what you were doing... if you look in my video, I look in your direction at you trying to repair the littlebird before departing to check for obstacles. My brain simply doesn't process that you're not in the bird anymore, and it's a real facepalm moment to watch my footage and see how long I take to realize you're not with me. :siiigh:

Although I also should have told you to hold off. I didn't want to be on the ground longer than we had to be there, we were taking rifle fire (although you were doing exactly what I wanted, just too early.)
There are only three things I hate in this world: Ranting, Lists, and Irony.

Mabbott
Host

Post by Mabbott »

madrak_the_red wrote:
Eagle_Eye wrote: Even if we went down in flames, we rolled into that town in full style
We rode eternal, shiny and chrome
@Eagle_Eye @Madrak_the_Red

"Full sails!" - Kefirz
"Don't engage, wait for them to pass the [*rocket launched with wooooosh sound*] bridge... [*boom - rocket hitting the tank*]" -Me, leading an ambush.
For the empire :hist101:

madrak_the_red
Host

Post by madrak_the_red »

IFV is love, IFV is life
TURN OUT FOR WHAT

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Ralian wrote:if you sync my video with yours, I believe you get shot down first :p
Actually, I went back to check. How come I can't hear any of your conversation with ASL? It sounds like he was half talking to me, half talking to you and I was hearing the answers sent to you as being sent to me, it's weird :D Were you on CC?
I would have told alpha to book it southwest to the jetty with the beached sub equipment where we all could have picked them up with relative ease.
Yeah, there was a lovely sheltered LZ in that shallow valley to the SSW of missouri and the ESE of OP California; you could get an MH9 in there readily. The problem is that Alpha were pinned down, I don't think they could have safely retreated back to that location because they'd have been going uphill at one stage and been exposed to direct fire from the AA.

If we'd timed it with ASL right, Alpha might have been able to lay down smoke, which would have helped, but again, we're back to the communications problem there.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Cardova

Post by Cardova »

I threw together a video with a few clips of (personally) interesting bits:

Ralian

Post by Ralian »

Sparks wrote:Actually, I went back to check. How come I can't hear any of your conversation with ASL? It sounds like he was half talking to me, half talking to you and I was hearing the answers sent to you as being sent to me, it's weird :D Were you on CC?
Hm, well I know I wasn't on CC (I might have been listening) because I would have been quickly corrected, also I don't recall ever hitting right alt. That said, sometimes I feel like not 100% of what I transmit gets through to others.

Actually, I went back to check in the video and I have no clue what you mean. (my bad) Could you maybe give me an example? I'd love to know if something's wrong with the way I've been transmitting :oops:

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Example - right as ASL's calling for the helos to come in, I asked him if he wanted us by the Alpha reform point; on your video at that point you're asking him if he wants both helos. I never hear your question and I hear his answer to you and think it's to me. Weird :D

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Ralian wrote:Sadly, it is my belief that there was no 'right approach' to this exfil. The TH's had a 0 % chance to survive.
I went back to the editor tonight, stuck a few Tigris's where I think the enemy fire was coming from on sunday, along with a few rifle squads, and tried a few different approachs.

Yup, 0% on any approach to the beach. The AA just has complete overwatch of the entire bay. I came around the headland 1-2m up for one approach and survived the longest - I got within 40m of the shore before exploding.

The fast scouting run from west to east - made it both times I tried, but took so much damage on the first run that I crashed shortly after exfil.

I tried going up that small gully, you can get quite a ways up there if you bounce the skids a bit, but when you get to the top and can see that two-story alpha were hiding behind, the AA shoots you through the house walls.

I'm starting to think the only option was for Alpha to have thrown smoke, used it to run west and down into that gully and we could have picked them up from there at our leisure perfectly safely. I wouldn't want to guess what their chances would have been though :?

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

You just got to assume the AO is very unfriendly and land a kilometer out, the squishes have legs too.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Ralian

Post by Ralian »

Sparks wrote:Example - right as ASL's calling for the helos to come in, I asked him if he wanted us by the Alpha reform point; on your video at that point you're asking him if he wants both helos. I never hear your question and I hear his answer to you and think it's to me. Weird :D
I watched your video and I heard myself, very faintly, make that radio call to ASL. Something's fishy because on the recording my voice is ear-raping louder than everyone else. I think this is an imbalance of arma's recording level and OBS's recording level. Will fix.