[Sun] 17 Apr 2022 (The Bunny Express)

How we died (in the future)
audiox
Host

[Sun] 17 Apr 2022 (The Bunny Express)

Post by audiox »

It was a nice night for bunny hunting which saw 13 brave bunnykillers scour the various terrains of Arma for caches of all kinds. :jihad:

Good news! We are trialling a new mission replay system! Check it out here and try the companion mod!

These missions were played:
  • Lost Sector : Faro Approach
  • Syndikat Dance
  • Riverdance
  • Pressure Politics
  • The Crucible X 2
  • Minecraft X 2
  • Rally : Coastal Highway
Players are reminded that the #communications channel on Discord contains valuable information for every member of the squad.

Remember to check out, promote, and contribute to the Party YouTube channel using this elegant and finely-crafted link.

You can review the missions we played tonight to improve your combat effectiveness score, using our R3 Mission Replay System. Remember, the Party is always watching! And so are your friends. From the grave. Where you put them. You monster.

If you would like to get some help with becoming an excellent leader :commissar: why not check out the Leadership Programme? This will let you get direct access to a host who will be happy* to guide you through commanding a mission, especially if you have a cruel and devious plan.

You may have noticed that some people have FA flags all over them. You may have thought "wow, what a cool guy! I want to be like them when I grow up!" Well, there's no need to grow up just yet. Instead, click on this link here and you too can have an FA flag of your own.

One last thing! If you would like to contribute to the server fund that allows FA to keep running sessions, you can PayPal your last grubby potato to server-fund@folkarps.com, or click here to use the Party's new and improved organ donation service.

audiox
Host

Re: [Sun] 17 Apr 2022 (The Bunny Express)

Post by audiox »

Oh man i got let out of Party Treasurer Freya's cellar to host again. Air, i need air! Also, i need you guys to get the concept of fire and maneuver, but hey, we'll get to that. :eng101:
So the turnout was a bit low, but i had missions ready for most circumstances, and considering its easter sunday i'm happy you all decided to show up.

Lost Sector : Faro Approach
I like to start a session with these rather short (okay, this one took fifty+ minutes.... :fry: ) missions with limited assets, obvious goals, and a limited AO. Its a nice way to warm everybody up to greater troubles later on in the session. Get a feel for the comms, remember what keys to press, that kind of thing. No elaborate setup, no long waits, no real annoyance if it goes tits up after the first bend in the road, just a nice starter.
So on we got with it.
I do believe the tone of my voice was obvious when i said "so its probably totally a good idea to split up these two 4 man fireteams in a way which makes it impossible for them to cover for one another." Though it seems Palmzia decided to just roll with it. Which made me cry a bit on the inside. :siiigh:
So basically the first part of the mission went something like "A1 is over there, A2 is over there, SL is gung-ho in the middle doing house clearing and shit". At any contact the fireteams had to rely on themselves, which is super awesome when two stray bullets from the enemy team pretty much makes a team combat ineffective. But thems the breaks. We made it partway down the peninsula when A1 (i think?) got decapitated, and i went to join them. After that we for some reason continued walking down the road towards our certain doom, and thought nothing of it until we hit the treeline by the checkpoint, whereafter we were promptly shot down and overrun by naughty naughty rebel scum. I honestly didn't know just how far in front of the rest of our forces we were until i died, and yeah, that was a definite advance out of support range if i ever partook in one. :hist101:

After A1 was all dead it seems as if A2+SL+VHAT managed to keep their forces consolidated, somehow avoided being murderized by a .50 cal, (not gonna lie, i had my camera at the ready to revel in your deaths...), and managed to make it into The Treeline of DEATH v2. Where they got absolutely overrun. Though VHAT decided to win the mission for us anyway, so yay for that.

Whereafter we all said a prayer for our lord and saviour, bounding overwatch, which unfortunately had not ressurected in time for this mission.

Syndikat Dance
Now for mission #2, helicopters, jungle, nasty rebels, all that jazz. What could be better? This mission -felt- better, but in retrospect the fireteams were not mutually supportive for long, and A2 died alone and far from A1 during our run on the second objective. It was scenic as hell though. But yeah, the point from the previous mission still stands, our fireteams are supposed to be mutually supportive elements, not independently acting ones (unless absolutely necessary). For instance, the landing zones at the first objective were so far apart that if either of the teams were engaged immediately after disembarking the only thing the other team could've done is listen to their pained cries over radio. The plan for the first objective had a hint of supportive overwatch and movement to it, and i feel that it went pretty well my nitpicks considered.
For the second objective we kinda went the opposite way, landing at the same spot but then drifting apart and getting A2 killed. A1 were Rambo'ing it pretty hard though, and managed to both survive, clean the area, and blow the caches. However that came about is beyond me, but well done. And then for some extra sauce Costno came along with an attack helicopter to get that jungle boogie feel all the way up.
As for objective #3 that seemed like a pretty straight forward push uphill. From the skies i was waiting for you all to get flanked from the south-west, but some of you seems to have had your eyes in the right places, and you managed to take out the flanking force. But yeah, it seemed like a pretty good time, though i can't speak for how it felt on the ground as i'd been dead for quite the while.

Riverdance
This is -not- a 12 player mission. That much can be said with certainty. TBH, i don't even know if i would classify it as a 30 player mission. :suicide:
Having to clear the town with two vics and a fireteam struck me as absolutely not a good time for anybody, so i just struck that objective from the map and removed most of the forces there, but left the other two objectives untouched. The plan made sense, Bravo Vic decided to peer at the town from afar and got a rocket to the face, so once again i got to spend most of the mission dead. Yay, hosting is fun! :hist101:
That you guys managed to clear the first objective came as a bit of a surprise, i was certain that Nyx was going to shoot you all dead, but it didn't, and you managed to clear it all somehow. I liked the roundabout approach to the second objective, went out for a cigarette, and suddenly everybody is charging semi-headlessly to the edge of the jungle to get shot in the face one by one, whilst Alpha Vic decides to sandwich itself inbetween about ten Indfor dudes whereafter it promptly died. :siiigh:

Pressure Politics
Holdouts are a good time, though i set the spawner a bit too low and had to zeus in a bunch of dudes to keep the tempo up. The plan made sense, and i hope everybody got some good shootouts out of it. Though i will just note one thing. Using a building that only has an exit towards the direction the enemy approaches from is perhaps not ideal if you are expecting to eventually have to retreat due to being overrun. :hist101: